Consultations with Tarek are designed to provide you with a comprehensive review of your medications, including over-the-counter and natural products, with a resultant action plan that you can use to track your progress in self-management. Goals of your consultation might include:
- Identification of medication and natural product side-effects or interactions;
- Suggestions for using medications more effectively to reach your treatment goals (e.g. improved blood pressure, cholesterol levels, and blood glucose levels);
- Exploration of medication alternatives, adjuncts, or changes to your current medication doses or schedule;
- A summary letter for your physician, for information purposes or to take a certain action, if required.
Initial MTM sessions typically last 30 to 45 minutes. Follow-up sessions can be scheduled at a mutual time frame and are often shorter in duration. Please note that in Ontario, changes to a medication prescription must be ordered by the prescribing physician or family physician. A Medication Therapy Management session is designed to greatly facilitate this process, with your health and safety in mind.
Additional services available include:
- Pre-travel health advice and administration of travel vaccines;
- On-site testing of blood sugar, HbA1c, cholesterol, and thyroid hormones;
- DNA testing (pharmacogenetics) to identify which medications are most suited to your health conditions, and which ones might pose additional risk of side-effects;
- Smoking cessation advice and treatment;
- Wellness and lifestyle counselling;
- Anti-coagulation therapy monitoring and testing, for people taking blood-thinning medications.