Dr. Sonya Nobbe, ND
Moving into winter, I find it challenging to eat enough veggies. I’ve discovered that blended soups are the perfect solution for my family. They are quite forgiving when you need to substitute ingredients or eyeball quantities. They freeze well, so that you have a quick work lunch or dinner side-dish when you’re short of time. Better yet, they work well for families with food allergies, since they are so often naturally free of dairy, gluten, egg, and nuts.
I prefer to make these with a hand blender over a processer or blender, because the texture is lovely and the clean-up is incredibly quick.
Celery Apple Soup
1. 4 celery stalks, chopped (or 3 stalks and 1 celeriac root)
2. Onion, chopped
3. 2 tbsp grapeseed oil (or other oil suitable for higher temperatures)
4. 2 apples, cored, and chopped (peeled if not organic)
5. 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock, 2 cups water
6. Season with salt and sage, or other spice to taste
Heat oil in large pot and add onion and celery. Sauté for 10 minutes, until soft.
Add apples and cook for another 5 minutes.
Add stock and water. Simmer for 45 minutes.
Blitz with a hand blender or food processor.
Yam, red lentil, ginger soup
1. Coconut oil, 2 tbsp
2. Sweet onion, chopped
3. 3 sweet potatoes (or yams), peeled, and cubed roughly
4. 2 or 3 cloves of garlic, crushed (or turmeric for an entirely different flavour)
5. Ginger (freshly grated, or powdered, to taste)
6. 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
7. 3 cups filtered water, or 1 cup broth (stock) and 2 cups water
8. Coconut milk (optional)
Heat coconut oil in pot. Add onion and lightly sauté until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
Add sweet potato and toss until coated, cooking lightly for another 3 to 5 minutes.
Add lentils, toss, and then add water and broth.
Add garlic (or turmeric), ginger. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer.
Continue cooking until red lentils have simmered down into a soup and sweet potato is soft. Add water or more broth to desired texture and taste. Consider adding coconut milk instead for smoother texture and different flavour.